Clear ceramic braces: the cost and benefits
If you're looking for a practically invisible orthodontic solution, clear ceramic braces may be just what you need. Part of the aesthetic orthodontics category, these porcelain braces are designed to blend seamlessly with your tooth enamel. This category includes both removable orthodontics, such as clear aligners, and fixed orthodontics, such as lingual braces or clear braces made from sapphire or ceramic.
With so many options available, it can be challenging to choose the right orthodontic treatment. That's why we're here to provide you with all the information you need about ceramic fixed braces for adults and teens.
What are ceramic braces and what are they made of?
If you're looking for an orthodontic treatment that is both effective and discreet, ceramic fixed braces may be the perfect option for you. Wondering what ceramic braces are made of? They are made of ceramic material that closely matches natural tooth enamel, these clear ceramic braces blend seamlessly with your teeth and are available in different shades to match your unique tooth color.
While some patients may have to wear a metal wire with their porcelain ceramic braces, others can opt for a white wire for an even more discreet look. Despite their inconspicuous appearance, ceramic fixed braces for adults and teens are just as efficient as their metal counterparts and can treat a wide range of dental issues, from moderate to complex crowding, bite problems, overbite, overjet, underbite, crossbite, gapped teeth, and more. Like traditional metal braces, they work by applying gentle pressure that gradually moves the teeth until they are perfectly aligned.
Whether you're a child, teen, or adult, ceramic fixed braces offer a discreet and efficient orthodontic treatment that can help you achieve the healthy, confident smile you've always wanted.
The pros and cons of ceramic braces
Just like other types of orthodontic treatments, ceramic fixed braces have pros and cons. It is important to consider these before deciding which type of orthodontic treatment is best for you.
The advantages of ceramic braces
When it comes to selecting an orthodontic treatment type, ceramic braces offer the advantages of being a discreet and cost-effective alternative to traditional metal braces. Their natural tooth-colored appearance makes them an ideal choice for patients seeking aesthetic treatment, particularly adults who may feel self-conscious about wearing visible metal braces.
Not only are ceramic braces more discreet than metal braces, but they are also more affordable. This means that you can achieve a beautiful smile without breaking the bank.
The disadvantages of ceramic braces
Ceramic braces are a popular choice for patients seeking a discreet orthodontic treatment. However, like any treatment, ceramic braces have their disadvantages too. While ceramic braces blend well with natural color teeth a con of ceramic braces is they may not be as discreet on yellower teeth. In addition, another con of ceramic braces is they may develop a slight yellow tinge over time, along with the transparent orthodontic rubber bands that tend to yellow with time.
To maintain the discreet appearance, patients with ceramic fixed braces must be careful with their diet, avoiding foods and drinks that may stain such as coffee, wine, red fruits, and tea. Another disadvantage of ceramic braces is the duration of the treatment, which can take up to 36 months, making them one of the slower options for orthodontic treatment.
Moreover, clear ceramic braces are more fragile than metal braces which means they require more delicate care. Patients must avoid eating very hard foods to prevent damage to the porcelain braces.
How much are ceramic braces? The cost in the US
Wondering “how much are ceramic braces?” In the US, ceramic braces cost less than other types of orthodontic treatments, making them more affordable than sapphire or lingual orthodontic treatments.
The complexity of the smile case dictates the cost of ceramic braces as well as the area you live in and who you select as your doctor. On average, ceramic braces cost between $3,000 to $7,000.
How to keep ceramic braces clean and white
Learning how to keep ceramic braces clean and white is essential to maintaining their appearance.
To avoid staining and yellowing, it’s important to avoid consuming food and drinks with strong colors such as tea, coffee, wine, or curry. Smoking is also discouraged as it can affect the appearance of the brackets and cause them to change color faster
In addition, orthodontic ceramic braces are more fragile than metal braces, which means you must avoid hard and sticky foods such as candy and chewing gum. Instead, choose pre-cut fruits and sliced bread, which are softer and gentler on the braces.
Taking care of and maintaining your ceramic braces is crucial to ensure the success of your orthodontic treatment. Follow these tips for how to maintain your ceramic braces so they stay white and clean in appearance and prevent breakage. For additional information, consult with your doctor on how to keep your ceramic braces clean and white.
The differences between ceramic braces and other types of orthodontic treatment
Before you start orthodontic treatment, it is important to explore all options for aligning teeth. Here are some of the differences between options:
Ceramic braces vs sapphire braces
Let’s take a look at ceramic braces vs sapphire braces.
- Aesthetics. Sapphire braces are made of sapphire crystals—which gives them a much more transparent appearance. The crystal adapts to all types of enamel shades. Although both options are worn with a metal archwire, sapphire braces offer a more aesthetically pleasing result because they do not stain over time.
- Duration. Both treatments last a similar amount of time. On average, treatment ranges between 18-35 months and is dependent upon case complexity.
- Cost. Ceramic braces and sapphire braces are about the same price—averaging around $4,000 - $8,000 for treatment.
Metal braces vs ceramic braces
Here’s how ceramic braces vs metal braces match up:
- Aesthetics. Ceramic braces are considered more aesthetic because their color is similar to tooth enamel, while metal braces are more noticeable due to their color
- Duration. On average, with ceramic fixed braces it takes 18-36 months to complete treatment and metal braces only take 12-24 months. The timelines for these two treatments depends on the complexity of the smile case. The length of treatment is an important point to consider when deciding between ceramic braces vs metal braces.
- Cost. Like clear ceramic braces, metal braces also cost anywhere between $4,000 and $8,000.
Impress clear aligners: the alternative to ceramic braces
At Impress, we offer tech-enhanced clear aligners. Let’s breakdown some of our advantages:
- Aesthetics. Impress clear aligners are (even) more aesthetically pleasing than clear ceramic braces. They are nearly invisible to the eye and are made of a non-yellowing, stain resistant material.
- Duration. On average Impress clear aligners can have you smiling in as little as six months! That means you’ll be smiling 2x faster with our clear aligners over ceramic braces.
- Cost. Impress clear aligner treatments start at $3,499. To make treatment even more affordable, we accept FSA/HSA, take insurance, and have monthly payment plan options.
The additional advantages of Impress clear aligners:
- Hygiene. Clear aligners allow you to maintain excellent dental hygiene. They can be removed for proper brushing and flossing between meals. It is more difficult to achieve this level of hygiene with fixed ceramic braces.
- Comfort. Ceramic braces are a bit more uncomfortable to wear because the clear wire attached to them is in direct contact with the soft tissue of the mouth. This can cause irritation and ulcers. Impress clear aligners are custom-made and precisely cut to fit your teeth exactly during all stages of treatment.
- In-person appointments. With fixed ceramic braces, you need to visit your doctor every 3-4 weeks to adjust them so they continue to make the prescribed movements for treatment. With Impress, we have cut down in-person appointments to just 3-5. Our convenient mobile app is used for weekly remote check-ins with your doctor to ensure treatment is progressing correctly and tend to any issues.
Take advantage of the benefits Impress clear aligners offer! Start by visiting us for your complimentary consultation. To schedule, you can visit our website, call us at +1 628.265.8188 or email us at email@example.com. We’ll see you at an Impress clinic near you!
Ceramic braces FAQ
Do ceramic braces stain?
Yes, ceramic braces stain over time. Stains on ceramic braces are caused by foods that color the teeth, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and red fruits. It is essential to brush your teeth after every meal with ceramic braces to avoid stains.
How do you remove yellow stains from ceramic braces?
To remove yellow stains from ceramic braces it is imperative that you brush with toothpaste and floss daily. You can also proactively work to avoid any foods or beverages that can stain your teeth.
Are ceramic braces more expensive than other orthodontic treatment?
Ceramic braces are almost always more expensive than other options because the material used costs more.