The index of complexity, outcome, and need (ICON)
An international team of 100 orthodontists created the Index of Complexity Outcome and Need (ICON) to develop a single reliable method for measuring a person’s need for orthodontic treatment and to grade the quality of the results achieved after treatment has been completed.
There are five key components to the ICON standard:
- Aesthetic assessment: grade of the attractiveness of a smile.
- Upper arch crowding/spacing: how much space there is in the mouth for teeth in relation to the size and number of teeth present.
- Crossbite: when the teeth in the upper jaw are positioned behind the lower teeth.
- Incisor open bite/overbite: a measurement of how much the front teeth do or don’t overlap vertically.
- Buccal segment anteroposterior: assessment of how the cusps of the canines, premolars, and molars fit together.
This means that not only do teeth look better after treatment but also the smiles are more functional. All of our graduated patients have achieved the highest improvement grade on the ICON index. These phenomenal results would only be possible with precision technology, strong doctor-patient relationships, and personalized treatment plans.
Let's start your smile journey today! Schedule your free consult with an expert doctor. Give us a call at 888.490.1421 or email us at email@example.com for additional assistance.